Here is my 2013 in retrospect. I do this yearly just to look back and see what new and exciting or maybe shocking and sad happened within the last 12 months.
Berlin is the most alive city I’ve ever lived in. Everyday something happens. I really should start making a diary like in old days, hand written, with scribbles and one day this can become a book.
Let’s see first, who’s been reading Avant-Hard:
And what were you reading the most?
Thank you everyone, who read and shared my posts with others. Without you Avant-Hard would be less thrilling.
Tomorrow is the New Year’s night, or Silvester, how they call it here, and then 2014 hits the calendar. Berliners have this weird tradition of making the 31st of December sound like it is April 1945. They buy tons of fireworks and start shooting them at noon, so by midnight you cannot even tell if it is 12 yet. It’s a disaster for dogs and small kids, so many young families try to escape this city on Silvester.
What made 2013 for me?
– The place of the year: Das Tier – the bar in Neukoelln. This year thanks to my alternative bar tour job I’ve been coming there quiet regularly and every time found myself very confortable and mellow watching the same looped video with a cat, looking at wonderful lilies and listening to vinyls. There is some charm in this place, it’s casual and elegant at the same time. I am doing a last bar tour tonight, and I will be there.
– The person of the year: Tiffany Graham, the artist – who I met for real last year on Silvester’s night and has been friends for the last 12 months. Tiffany has amazing stories to tell and is always a great listener. I think we learned together a lot. See her artwork here: ART
The film of the year: my new guilty pleasure – Twin Peaks. It took me almost 20 years to re-watch it. I’ve also re watched Leon, and got truly sentimental. As for freshly watched films nothing hits my mind, apart from a touching Buddha Collapsed out of Shame
– The book of the Year: Amerika by Franz Kafka. I was frustrated through the entire book.
– The Fact of the year: Berlin is the poorest city in Germany.
– The band of the year: Thanks to Directors Lounge (the experimental film and media festival in Berlin) I learned about Rowland S. Howard from the 80s. What a treasure! And a week ago two tracks by Gesaffelstein shook me real hard. This is what I consider quality techno.
– The concert of the year: sadly I had to miss QOTSA and Portishead, but Dead Skeletons gig was really good. The location (SO36), the audience sharing dance and weed, and the smell of Black Copal..
– The Loss of the Year: The Mars Volta split up.
– The song of the Year: Liars – brats
– The event of the year: There have been of course many and good ones. So, I am lost to say which one was the most memorable. Yet, I cannot stop admiring Porn Film Festival Berlin and Directors Lounge. Great venues, great teams, great atmosphere, great content. Yet, as a venue of the year I’d like to call Fiesere Miese.
– The achievement of the year: I am split between two, my presence on public with the internship question and my Mogwai poster design which has been selected for a print.
– Quote of the year: “Create like a god. Command like a king. Work like a slave.”
― Constantin Brâncuşi“
– Food of the year: Thai coconut soup – simple as that.
Berlin, I wish you a Happy New Year, and a change from “poor, but sexy” to “abundance feels sexy”.
Let’s see what were the most special Berlin moments of 2013 (authors, feel free to leave me your name):