Pied Piper by Vivek Budakoti
Because it’s a freak house, the place where everything is possible. Where you forget who you are, dissolving in the filmic nonsense. And every stranger in the room is the dearest alien to you. The childhood, the adolescence and the old age come together and generate the best viewer.
No admission till 8 pm
Film, Music, Art
1. The first reason why I like Directors Lounge, is its team. They’re all true characters. Once you see them, you never forget, and even more you won’t confuse them with anyone else! Greet them when you meet them.
2. The second reason, of course, is the film selection. This is where I lose myself. I stop even blinking, breathing and thinking. It’s just not necessary. Directors Lounge always has a crazy selection, for every taste: funny, ugly, surreal, disturbing, queer, touching and everything else what cannot be categorized. See the programme. 11 days of a video quirk is a great way to overdoze. You will look at the world with the different eyes.
Gilivanka Kedzior and Barbara Friedman
3. And the third reason, is the place. It’s the boring Alexanderplatz area, but Naherholung Sternchen is a real underground explosive. They have entirely rebuilt it within the last year, expanded and made even more freaky (A Twin Peaks party took a place there in December 2013; and I met Bob). On a regular DL night the aliens smoke cigarettes, drink beer and dance. It’s all good. And yes, there are plenty couches to share with directors.
These all three reasons create a very bizarre atmosphere, where I never know if I am who I am.
Some acts I am looking forward to seeing:
– World Premier: Nonconformity by Igor Parfenov 13.02.
Nonconformity is a multilayered epos based on the works by Leо Tolstoy. The action is shifted to our reality. The spotlight of the story is a withdrawn existence of mountain village inhabitants.
– LIVE: Steve Morell 16.02. 10:30 pm
is a remixer, DJ, producer, musician, founder of the record label “Pale Music Int.” and the German underground festival Berlin Insane.
– The exhibition: Digital Storytelling | arts and informatics 9-16.2. daily 6-9pm
Digital storytelling presents an installation of books that trigger interaction through the flipping of pages next to selected works from the Directors Lounge open call and video installations from the FKI, the research center of arts and informatics. All at the gallery space next to the Naherholung Sternchen
– Film Performance: Reynold Reynolds 11.02. 9pm
The live construction of the image destroys the illusion of film, revealing the whole studio process as art.
This guy does brainshaking stuff.
Secret Life from Artstudio Reynolds on Vimeo.
– LIVE: DIETER RITA SCHOLL with Martina Colli, piano 12.02. 10:30pm
Dieter Rita Scholl
A very special guest performing live, accompanied by Italian import pianist Martina Colli, straying from the classical repertoire of her recent album into the world of the offbeat.
– Live Performance: Still und Dunkel (silent and dark)
An audiovisual performance by Christoph Brünggel and Benny Jaberg.
Our interest lies in the aura of disused factories, abandoned civil defense facilities and similar supposed utopian, non-places‘. The temporality of such locations and their potential to evoke the feeling of loneliness in the spectator inspires us. We examine abandoned places towards its capacity to store and capture time in itself with artistic means.
While Nick Cave said he’ll pop in to Berlinale on the 10th of February, I really think he should come for the afterparty at Directors Lounge.
Nick Cave & PJ Harvey